Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hockney

One of the things I have always wanted to paint was a landscape a la David Hockney. I have always really admired his Nichols Canyon and water paintings. He has a way of turning things, as Pip said, into stained glass. He takes scenery and fragments it, creating patterns and quilt-like imagery but keeping it's essence.

In preparation for my own version of his, I thought I would try and copy one of his paintings (with my own slant). His is in oil, mine in watercolor and I decided to add the barn. I like it pretty much, it was a little tedious with all the fields and all the greens but I think that's what makes it pretty nice. The road looks high as it goes into the distance, which wasn't my intention. But it does look like a valley.

I was thinking a barn, and a bicycle and this in the background, large, on canvas. It is one of the challenges that I haven't dealt with yet, making something large. The others are a portrait, and a farmer's market scene.